Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Glad to be back.



I ran into one of my theater friends recently.  He told me that he thought I had “dropped off the face of the earth.”  As Mark Twain once said, “reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated.”

That said, though, this is my first post to Theater Colorado in nearly 2 years. I dropped out of the theater hobby because it was time for a break.  My hobby had turned into a job, and it was not the kind with tangible rewards (no paydays).  I was spending weekends seeing shows, and weekdays writing up my thoughts.  Each post is a 4-6 hour task, not including the travel time and seeing the actual show.  At the end of each year, I did a "Bill's Best" post.  It was eating up ALL of my free time.

Beyond the time commitment, I was having some issues in the darkness of the theaters.  My vision (especially in theatrical fog) was noticeably reduced.  My somewhat diminished hearing made it difficult to hear lines, especially when sung.  And since I do not take notes during a performance, it became more difficult to remember the details of the performance.

So I’m going to try again.   I’ve gotten better at compensating for the issues in the darkness.  But I won’t go back to wall to wall posts.  It’s a quality versus quantity problem.  Updates will be sporadic but ongoing.

Although I took a break from writing, I never took a break from seeing some amazing productions.  If you weren’t aware, most theaters comped my ticket(s) in the past.  From now on, I’ll see the shows I want to see and I’ll pay for them.  Whether I write up a review will be a case by case decision.  My first post will be Stage Door Theater’s “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder.”

Thanks for all the support you have given to Theater Colorado since it started in 2012.  Much appreciated.  Not a day goes by that I don’t get hits on Theater Colorado.  It’s nice to know that people still occasionally stop by to check it out.

Bill

3 comments:

  1. Glad to have you back, Bill. Thanks for being a kind spirit and champion of Colorado theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...much appreciated.

    Thought long and hard before coming back. Roxie is a great help to me. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have made this decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, Bill! I've been wondering how you are since you never appear in any of Roxie's posts!

    ReplyDelete